The story of IJN Junyo

 


“IJN Junyo was laid down as the passenger liner Kashiwara Maru (橿原丸), but was
purchased by the IJN in 1941 while still under construction and converted into an aircraft carrier”


 

So, this is the second aircraft carrier story that I have ever written and yeah this is really nice for me again the description of the ship is going to be shown.

 

                              IJN Junyo

             Armament: 12 x 127mm Dual-Purpose (DP) guns

             Armor: Belt armor: 25–50 mm (0.98–1.97 in)

             Aircraft Carried: 42–48

             Speed: 25.5 knots (47.2 km/h; 29.3 mph)

             Displacement: 24,150 tons

                                                                                                                                          



So, the IJN Junyo was originally laid down as a passenger liner but it was bought by the Japanese navy but it was torpedoed and bombed many times but quickly returned to service but I think returning it to service quickly is not a good idea because if you rush things it can give out flaws in the ship so I think that’s also why the Americans scrapped up the ship kind of sad really I mean they could have restored it as a museum ship just like USS Missouri.

I like to think that the IJN Junyo is the first aircraft carrier of the Japanese Navy to be reconfigure to become an aircraft carrier but even if it was part of the navy it didn’t do much in the war I guess much of its time was spent at the docks.

But it was hit by a torpedo at the starboard bow of the ship (I’m just guessing where the torpedo hit the ship so this is not a fact) and I guess making the ship list on its starboard and when the Americans got their hands on IJN Junyo they decided that the ship will be scrapped part by part and keeping the good parts like I guess armor and armament.

 



Italic/bold contents are credited to Wikipedia

Comments